Friday, September 14, 2012

I Made a Dress!

Lately I've been thinking that I should make our girl some dresses.  Mostly for an end to the frustration of trying to find a dress that fits her, forget about trying to find one with sleeves! She wears a t-shirt under her sleeveless dresses and I for one would not miss hunting down a white tee on Sunday mornings.  Consequently, my resolution to make her some dresses.  Plus, she likes wearing dresses in general so it's a win/win.
I so have no plans to take the troops to JoAnn's to flip through pattern books for all eternity, so this plan was waiting for a someday trip alone.  Enter Peek-a-Boo Patterns.  She's offering a free girl dress pattern (size 3 mo to 8) on her site.  It was cute and I had fabric so I thought it was the perfect dress to start the revolution.
I made it longer as per the girl's request, and my madchen is skinny, I expect it's a bit fuller in general.
It's a pretty distinct dress, so I won't be making another in different fabric, but if I did make it again I would tighten up the neckline a bit, 1/2 or a full inch.  And it seems to run a bit small.  I went up two sizes from the sizing chart and could have given the girl more space for getting in and out.  Seeing as this was my first dress from a pattern, I figure that's really just something I'll figure out as I go.  My mom recently told me that she ignores zipper directions and just puts a zipper in "her" way. 
For a first go at a dress, it's certainly wearable.  It's doesn't look "home made" in a bad way.  And it's purple, even if it was awful, Pie would love it.
 
linking to tgiff and whoop whoop

4 comments:

Janine @ Rainbow Hare said...

Congrats on your first dress! It looks lovely :)

Audrie said...

I really like it. The neckline looks hard.

Susana Neiger said...

Great work! It looks sweet! I'm especially impressed, since it's a first-dress-from-a-pattern! Garment-sewing can be so different from quilt-sewing! Beautiful!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Congrats on your first dress, Amanda. You did a great job. My mom made me dresses when I was a kid and let's just say that I wish she'd made me ones more like this one. Love it!