Tuesday, May 31, 2011

For Mary

Aunt Mary is off to the MTC. Tomorrow she starts her 18 month mission for our church.  Curious?  We wanted to send Aunt Mary away with something from us that wouldn't be a pain to have to carry along with her necessities. Here's what we came up with: PILLOWCASES!
Awesome, right?  How functional.  We brainstormed various Aunt Mary facts and then got to work.
First up, i heart cats.  Because man, Aunt Mary and cats.  (I have now confessed to Aunt Mary my feelings toward cats and she's not holding it against me.)
Aren't the creases great?  Aunt Mary had to unpack this one for the picture and I so didn't bother to iron.
It's more applique, I've become a little applicrazy.  I blame the Scrabble quilt and the left over fusible web.  I did a simple blanket stitch around it all.
The heart is made with the over the top " I love my kitty cat" fabric that I used when I made Mary some flannel slippers a few years ago.
Next up, Godzilla attacking Atlanta Bread Company.  Mary used to work there.  On our end it was a great deal; she brought over the stuff that was getting less than fresh.  The peanut butter cookies dipped in chocolate are really good.  (and yeah, the lighing's crummy)
 Anyway, Godzilla.  He's applique and blanket stitch with backstitching on the details.  And my very first successful french knot for his eye. 
 Doesn't he look angry?  He must not have tried the chocolate filled croissants yet.  They taste way better than that car will.
The only potential flaw in the whole pillowcase scheme is that they could be wildly uncomfortable to sleep on.  Guess she can always just turn it over.  Although having Godzilla imprinted on her cheek would be pretty funny.
In other Aunt Mary sewing, I adjusted the sizing on the temple slippers I made her for her birthday.  I had forgotten to factor in the nylon slippery factor, they shouldn't slip off anymore.

3 comments:

Amber Goodman said...

Awesome idea on the temple slippers, once I saw Mary's I knew I had to make myself some (along with a new dress that fits the way it should). One day.

Amber Goodman said...

I like the new blog name :)

Laura said...

Very cute! Tgiffriday!