Monday, August 31, 2009
It has been brought to my attention that I don't know everyone looking at this, that some unknown (to me) individuals have even told Nathan Lindsey that they have seen his surprise. I would just like to point out that the key word is surprise. And, not that it needs to be said, but I'm saying it: if anyone tells Nathan Lindsey I will hold them responsible for ruining, that's right ruining, over nine months of planning and work to keep it secret. And they will have to live with knowing that they did it.
Saturday, August 22, 2009
They are going on pretty fast. I have to place them just right, which takes like three seconds. Last night I got all the pinks and a couple dark blues ironed on. I have to sew around them all once they're on, but my new machine will make that a breeze. (and I expect it to be really fun too, I'll get to use my zig zag stitch!)
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
I have to fix one spot and then I'm sewing the two halves together. Then the board part will be assembled. I've scaled it so that the gameplay area is the top of the mattress, I have to add border, like on the board, so that it hangs down on the sides. This thing is huge. Each square is five inches and the white is half an inch. It's big.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Technically I think September 24th could be possible. Less so for me seeing as I'm not a retired grandma. But this morning I realized that it's really not all that attainable for me at all. I had forgotten that Nathan is taking off a big chunk of September. Grand Canyon doesn't exactly say king sized quilt to me. I will still be working just as studiously, but I'm thinking that September will have come and gone when it's finished. Which, with the adjusted mentality concerning the timeframe, I have more time to consider Double Word Score and all that and decide if/how I want to do that. So the "delay" could just be making for a more extreme Scrabble Quilt.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
I was all set to sew the rows together with the white between, but I'm discovering that I'll have to iron the seams open before I can connect them. So now I'm sewing white to one side of each row so that after I iron I'll be able to finally put it together. If I didn't iron the seams open I'd end up sewing them to the white and the colors would show through. So, rather than using the next few nights to iron on triangles I'll be using it to sew together the board. But then it will be together! Finally! And it will start to really look like it will end!
Sunday, August 2, 2009
I now have all the triangles ironed to fusible web and cut out. I am ready to start ironing them onto the white spaces. We had theorized it would be easier to do the triangles a few rows at a time, but I'd have to keep changing my bobbin thread (and I only have two bobbins!) so I'm either going to buy more bobbins or I'm going to sew the entire top and do one color at a time. I'm excited to iron them onto the top. It will be super fun to see this thing coming together.